header

Saturday 19 May 2012

Environmental Awareness

I'm sorry folks but whilst I would not normally use my blog posts to moan today is an exception. Today whilst completing my daily three mile walk I was absolutely incensed to see a group of you boys walking towards out local skate board park dropping litter as they walked. It was dropping from their hands like confetti at a wedding and something inside me just saw red.

I amazed even myself by indignantly hailing them and demanding they retraced their steps and collected their litter and place it in the bin they had just walked past.They at first looked stunned and then one off them told me 'No' and started to walk off. I then snatched up one piece of the litter and handed it to the young man who had said no and looked him in the eye and said, " put it in the bin"  Surprising he did so and walked off muttering. 

The others also picked up the papers and placed them in the bin. However, even though they had picked up their own rubbish there  was still plenty of other rubbish laying around and I just felt so sad. 

I'm not going to go on about young people because they are no worse than older people. What saddens me is everyone wants somebody else to clear up after them. I think its time this attitude stopped, we have all got to start doing our bit, looking after our environment.  It need not be anything monumental,we can start small, simply don't drop litter, clear up the paths and verges in our street, and keep our gardens clear of wind blown rubbish. If we get started we can then take on bigger things like our parks and public places and communities in general. 

Sorry to have a rant but please lets  start looking after our environment.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you Dawn! I totally agree but must admit it's a bit intimidating to actually face up to the litter louts. We get a constant supply of crisp packets and such deposited in our front garden by the wind, most of which has been dropped in the street beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I did it before I thought about it really. It amazing what a temper can do gives you false courage at times. But I do get so incensed

      Delete
  2. Good for you. I used to complain that the kids were always coming home with their pockets full of rubbish until my Mum pointed out that if it was in their pocket it was not littering the road. I never complained after that, although I did curse a few times when things found their way into the wishing machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These young lads had just walked past a bin that's what got me seeing red. Mind you other day I saw a thirty plus aged man throw MacDonald's packets etc out of his car window onto the verge

      Delete