header

Sunday 12 February 2012

The Demolition Mob

For the past few winters we have been visited in our garden by one or two Redwings. I understand from reading the RSPB's site ( http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/r/redwing/index.aspx) that the Redwing is the UK's smallest true Thrush. It has the Latin name of  'Turdus iliacus', not very promising name if you ask me, but it is a pretty bird.

Picture from RSPB

Just one of the group in my garden



A snacking Redwing




















This year, however, it's not been one or two birds but a whole mob of them and boy are they destructive. I had several holly trees laden with berries, and they looked glorious with the bright flash or red amongst the glossy green of the  holly leaves. Indeed, the berries have been the one splash of true vibrant colour in the garden in the past few weeks. Now thanks to the demolition mob that is the Redwing, they are no more. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I'd want the Redwings to go away, I am merely astounded at the devastation a group of small birds can wreak in such a short space of time.      

I have taken some before and after shots of just one of my holly trees to show just how quick and efficient these little birds can be This berry clearance was done in four hours.

BEFORE










AFTER
































I had always thought Starlings were greedy birds, but they have nothing on the Redwing it would seem.



1 comment:

  1. Wow - they also like the heads of golden rod plants too...but fortunately they are just brown seeds so not that pretty anyway :)

    ReplyDelete