header

Friday 16 March 2012

A Twist on the Scotch Egg

I'm always looking for different ideas for recipes. So when a few years back I saw, in a magazine a recipe for  scotch eggs with a difference I thought,  "That's something I have to try". Well over the years the recipe has vanished and my version now is I think quite different from the original. The one thing I can say is its still a dish which is very popular. For my current version of this dish you will need.

Ingredients  . 

400g (14oz) ( Pork Mince (lean)
1 tub Philadelphia Cheese
1 large Red Onion
Salt 
Pepper
1tsp Chilli Flakes (if you like things spicy)
250g (8oz)Porridge Oats



Method 
Pre-heat oven to 200o C,400oF Gas Mark 6
Place a sheet of baking paper onto a tray or work top and then scatter a layer of porridge oats over it.

Divide the pork mince into 5-6 portions depending on how big you want your final scotch eggs to be     
Mix the cheese with the finely chopped onions and add salt and pepper.



Now take a portion of the pork mince and flatten in your hands and place on the oats



Place a portion of the cheese onion mix into the centre of the pork  as seen below.



Then carefully bring the edges of the pork together to form a ball. firm gently in the hands and roll in the oats so the ball is completely covered. Note there is no need to coat in raw egg as oats stick to the surface very well.

The finished pork ball
  Place the finished pork balls into the oven and cook for approx 30 mins.
server with salad or chips or whatever you fancy. My husband actually enjoy them when they are cold sliced in crispy rolls 


    

6 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn,
    Thank you for your comment on my blog and for becoming a follower. So pleased you like what you found there!!
    Must say your blog is certainly varied. Love your cards and the recipes will come in handy. As for the sharp knife.....ouch. Have done this myself but not quite as badly as you. Hope you heal soon.
    Hugs
    Denise xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks for becoming a follower wow now I have 11 people following me. The knife thing was so stupid but that's how things seem to go some times isn't it.
    Loved your blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look good too, loved your cheese swirls, I saved the other one for work :) I have awarded your blog with the liebster award which you can pick up and pass on only if you want to - you don't have to, just wanted to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry only just noted the reply button so thanks if you thought I was ignoring you

      Delete
  4. Thanks Sutty are there prizes ha! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks yummy, I'm always after new recipes and I love that they are baked rather than deep fried like ordinary scotch eggs - got to give these a go

    ReplyDelete